It seems to be that just about every book series is getting a spin-off these days — that includes modern classics like Harry Potter all the way down to YA mega franchises like the Shadowhunters Chronicles. We love some of them. Others make us upset. And we thought it’d be relevant to discuss the dangers (and upsides) of adding too much to an already established world. Keep in mind, we recorded this episode before the J.K. Rowling controversy hit the internet earlier this week. It just goes to show you that this is on everyone’s mind.
In this episode…
- Yay or nay to spin-offs? What’s everyone’s reaction to when spin-offs are announced?
- Are spin-offs ever necessary? We talk Cassandra Clare’s Shadowhunters Chronicles.
- Is there a certain budget when it comes to spin-offs? Can a writer add too much?
- Where does J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World fit into all this?
In the headlines…
- There’s a new Harry Potter mobile game coming from the makers of Pokémon Go.
- We’ve got our first look at the illustrated edition of Goblet of Fire!
- We’re learning more and more about Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’
- Shadowhunters is on its final season.
- Children of Blood and Bone’s sequel is getting a later release date.
- ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire’ illustrated edition cover and release date revealed!
- Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ TV series will welcome the Second Age of Middle-earth
Bookmarked is brought to you by Audible.com! You can get a FREE audiobook when you sign up for a 30-day free trial membership. (Hint: It might help you with that reader burnout you’re feeling!) Click here for more info!