DISCUSS: ‘Broken Throne’ by Victoria Aveyard! (SPOILERS!)
The following article and comments contain MAJOR SPOILERS from Victoria Aveyard’s Broken Throne, including important plot points and character developments.
IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE THIRD RED QUEEN BOOK, DO NOT SCROLL DOWN! THERE ARE BROKEN THRONE SPOILERS ON THIS PAGE!
Have you read Broken Throne in full? Broken Throne hit shelves Tuesday and there’s no denying that it’s the perfect addition to the Red Queen saga! In classic Aveyard-form, the book’s title takes on multiple meanings. The pages are riddled with political doubt as great houses collapse and characters we love sacrifice their claims to greater power. And yet, as we see Aveyard’s world from a much larger perspective, there’s the realization that the throne has always been “broken” in a sense.
Maybe the coolest parts of the book are the previously published novellas, which allowed us to see how, not just the history, but the small characters who were mentioned in passing in the previous books were expanded upon.
And then there was catching up with our old friends. Who else was freaking out when we finally returned to Evangeline, Elane, Mare and Cal?
So what do you think? Everyone’s bound to have a lot of thoughts about Broken Throne. Now’s the time to enter the discussion.
Leave your thoughts and feelings in the comment section to engage with other fans!
Not sure where to start? Here are some discussion points that you can address if you’d like:
- What do you think of the story of Cal’s parents? Does it make you happy to get to know Coriane or sad to know how the story ends?
- What do you think about the topical elements of the story — the way Aveyard weaves in modern issues like climate change?
- Did you enjoy the interactions between Farley and Shade?
- What did you think of the chase down the river in ‘World Behind?’
- Evangeline Samos and Elane Haven are still together but things are tense. Are you happy to catch up with these characters again?
- How do you feel about the emotional scars Evangeline’s father left behind?
- What do you think about Evangeline and her brother, Ptolemus Samos, abdicating their claims to the throne of the Rift?
- What do you think of Evangeline’s bittersweet ending — how she and Elane will be together but how things are forever damaged between her and her mother?
- What do you think of Evangeline’s letter? Was it a smart move?
- How did you react to Cal’s return?
- How did you feel about returning to Mare?
- Do you think the guilt Mare still feels about Maven is merited?
- Did it gut your heart to see that Mare and Cal still care so much for each other?
- Did you enjoy the chapters where the delegations met and discussed wartime politics?
- Do you think there’s ever a chance Mare and Evangeline will be friends?
- Are you happy Mare and Cal have finally agreed to work things out?
- Were you surprised to return to Maven’s point of view?
- What did you think of Cal’s and Maven’s conversation? Is Cal at all to blame for what happened to Maven? Or was there no hope for Maven at all?
- What did you think of Cal visiting Maven’s grave?
- Will Cal and Mare ever come to peace with what happened to Maven? Or do you think they’ll always feel guilty?
- What do you think of the new world of Norta that eventually comes? Do you like the idea of blood speakers who represent reds, silvers and new bloods?
- Do you think Montfort has too much power?
- Did the book answer the burning questions you were left with following the events of War Storm?
In order for this to work, you have to share your thoughts below! Let’s create a space where Red Queen fans can come together and discuss Broken Throne!
If you want more information about the Red Queen Series, be sure to visit Bookstacked’s Red Queen info page for more! Also be sure to follow @RedQueenSource on Twitter to keep up with the latest Red Queen news!