The screen may have dimmed on the Skywalker Saga, but Star Wars intends to continue forward at lightspeed, particularly in the realm of publishing.
Lucasfilm announced a slate of new Star Wars books, including young adult novels from staple authors Claudia Gray and Daniel José Older. Dubbed Star Wars: The High Republic, the publishing initiative will span across multiple publishers and include middle grade and adult novels as well as comic books.
Check out the announcement trailer:
The High Republic stories will take place hundreds of years before the Skywalker-era Star Wars films, depicting the Galactic Republic and Jedi Order at their heights.
“We are so excited to be opening up such a rich, fertile era for our authors to explore,” Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said in a statement. “We’ll get to see the Jedi in their prime.”
Here’s what we know:
- So far the following authors are confirmed to be involved with High Republic: Claudia Gray, Justina Ireland, Daniel José Older, Cavan Scott and Charles Soule. Publishers involved include Disney Lucasfilm Press, Del Rey, IDW Publishing and Marvel.
- The story will showcase the Jedi in their prime, according to statements from those involved. Lucasfilm publishing creative director Michael Siglain said: “Star Wars: The High Republic features the Jedi as we’ve always wanted to see them — as true guardians of peace and justice. This is a hopeful, optimistic time, when the Jedi and the Galactic Republic are at their height. But of course, into this glorious new era something wicked this way comes … This initiative will give readers young and old a new corner of the galaxy to explore through rich, meaningful stories. Plus, readers will learn what scares the Jedi.”
- The series will kick off in August 2020.
One of the first books published will be a young adult novel from Claudia Gray: Into The Dark.
Check out the blurb below:
Padawan Reath Silas is being sent from the cosmopolitan galactic capital of Coruscant to the undeveloped frontier — and he couldn’t be less happy about it. He’d rather stay at the Jedi Temple, studying the archives. But when the ship he’s traveling on is knocked out of hyperspace in a galactic-wide disaster, Reath finds himself at the center of the action. The Jedi and their traveling companions find refuge on what appears to be an abandoned space station. But then strange things start happening, leading the Jedi to investigate the truth behind the mysterious station, a truth that could end in tragedy …
Gray’s novel is expected to hit shelves Oct. 13, 2020, according to Disney’s website.
Other upcoming titles in the series include:
- Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule, an adult novel which will kick off the High Republic series on Aug. 25, 2020.
- A Test of Courage by Justina Ireland, a middle grade novel due on shelves Sept. 8th, 2020.
- Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures, a comic book series by Daniel José Older.
- Star Wars: The High Republic, a comic book by Cavan Scott which will be published by Marvel.
Are you looking forward to the High Republic?