Controversy struck the YA community with the announcement of the ‘Eleanor & Park’ movie, based on the popular novel by Rainbow Rowell. Does the book perpetuate harmful and racist stereotypes and ideas? We dive into the discussion surrounding the announcement in this latest episode while also asking how authors should approach inclusivity.
In this episode…
- We’re making changes to our show and we want your feedback!
- We’ve got a mini book review of Broken Throne by Victoria Aveyard in this month’s segment of ‘What Are You Reading?’
- Would a book like Eleanor & Park be publishable today?
- Where did Rainbow Rowell go wrong?
- Dear authors: please research!
- What books get inclusivity and representation right?
- A friendly reminder: Let’s try to be patient with each other.
In the headlines…
- Is ‘Eleanor & Park’ racist? Movie announcement renews criticisms
- Pottermore expected to close and launch new website with premium memberships
- WATCH: The ‘His Dark Materials’ trailer already looks better than the movie
- ‘Perks of Being a Wallflower’ author Stephen Chbosky unveils new book
Get In Touch…
Let your voice be heard! There are several ways you can get in touch with us and interact with the show. Your messages might be included in the next episode!
- Record and send us a voice message!
- Follow and talk to us through Twitter!
- Send us an old-fashioned email!