2021 is kicking off with a strong slate of YA book releases. A couple of the big buzzy releases include Alexandra Bracken’s Lore and Angie Thomas’ Concrete Rose.
In Lore, Bracken puts a spin on Greek mythology, taking the classical myths “to the Hunger Games,” according to Bookstacked reviewer Kristy Mauna. Readers who want to learn more need only visit her Instagram account where she’s kept fans up to date on just about everything Lore for several months. The book is available today.
As for Thomas, she’s returning to Garden Heights, the setting of her 2017 debut novel, The Hate U Give. Concrete Rose is the prequel, following the story of Starr Carter’s father, Maverick.
“Of all characters who really just stayed with me, Maverick was at the top of that list,” Thomas said at the time of the book’s announcement.
You can read an excerpt from the book here. Concrete Rose will hit shelves January 12.
Here’s a full look at January’s other YA book releases.
You can purchase any of the YA book on this list from Bookstacked’s BookShop storefront. We earn a commission on purchases made through Bookshop.org. Purchasing your books via our Bookshop storefront helps our website stay afloat and continue to deliver the quality bookish content we’ve been offering for free for six years. Your purchase also helps out indie book stores!
- Lore by Alexandra Bracken
- Crown of Bones by A.K. Wilder
- One of the Good Ones by Maika Moulite
- Happily Ever Afters by Elise Bryant
- Court of Swans by Melanie Dickerson
- Be Dazzled by Ryan La Sala
- Roman and Jewel by Dana L. Davis
- Root Magic by Eden Royce
- The World Between Blinks by Amie Kaufman
- The Sea in Winter by Christine Day
- When You Look Like Us by Pamela N. Harris
- Hold Back the Tide by Melinda Salisbury
- In the Penalty Box by Lynn Rush
- Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas
- You Have a Match by Emma Lord
- Tales From the Hinterland by Melissa Albert
- Across the Green Grass Fields by Seanan McGuire
- Into the Heartless Wood by Joanna Ruth Meyer
- The Frozen Crown by Greta Kelly
- Chlorine Sky by Mahogany L. Browne
- We Free the Stars by Hafsah Faizal
- A Vow So Bold and Deadly by Brigid Kemmerer
- Winterkeep by Kristin Cashore
- The Divines by Ellie Eaton
- Last Night at the Telegraph Club by Malinda Lo
- Cast in Firelight by Dana Swift
- Wider Than the Sky by Katherine Field Rothschild
- This Will Be Funny Someday by Katie Henry
- Happy Singles Day by Ann Marie Walker
- The Mask of Mirrors by M.A. Carrick
- Girl on the Line by Faith Gardner
- The Mask Falling by Samantha Shannon
- Wings of Ebony by J. Elle
- If I Disappear by Eliza Jane Brazier
- Written in Starlight by Isabel Ibañez
- Unchosen by Katharyn Blair
- The Girls I’ve Been by Tess Sharpe
- The Ex Talk by Rachel Lynn Solomon
- We Could Be Heroes by Mike Chen
With which books are you kicking the new year off? Which release are you looking most forward to?
See an error on our list? Drop us an email at corrections [at] bookstacked.com.